Yaquina at Sea, 1973. E. Nelson Sandgren (1917–2006) joined the faculty of Oregon State University in 1948 and served as Art Professor until his retirement in 1987. A prolific artist, Sandgren enjoyed going to sea as well as painting at the coast and from the docks. Though he traveled widely, his interest in the Oregon Coast never waned.
The 180-foot, 800-ton oceanographic research vessel Yaquina was commissioned in Portland, Oregon, in 1964, after its conversion from a 1944 World War II support ship. The Yaquina allowed Oregon State University to conduct scientific studies throughout the entire Eastern Pacific, from Peru to Alaska until replaced by the Wecoma in 1976.